In most years past I’ve found myself bargaining with God this time of year.
“Ok God, I was single for the holidays again this year, but next year is the year it’s going to be different, right?”
But over the last several years, I’ve grown weary of waiting to live my life until it starts syncing with my timeline. So this holiday season, I’ve been taking the time to pause and appreciate this stage of life.
No way jose! Far from it in fact. I still think next year may be different, and I’m still looking forward to one day when I have what I hope for. But if next year isn’t different, I can still have joy, because I’ve learned that current joy and future hope aren’t mutually exclusive.
We can have both.
So I’m making the choice to soak up what is, instead of putting all my energy into what isn’t yet, and more than ever, this year I’ve found myself appreciating, and realizing that one day I might even miss things like:
- Watching copious hours of romantic Christmas movies with no one interrupting (I’ve watched The Princess Switch three times!)
- Decorating and enjoying the glow from my little three foot, apartment-sized Christmas tree
- Still being able to attend all of my family’s festivities without my attention being divided
- Only going to the parties and work events I really want to go to, and otherwise staying home to watch those aforementioned movies
- My birthday, wine nights, and Christmas movie nights with just the girls
- Sweet little nieces who photobomb your selfies
Y’all, I promise you with every fiber of my being that life is special and joyful even when it isn’t what we pictured or expected, and even when we don’t have what we hope for YET, but we have to make the choice to see it.
So tell me, what’s something you found yourself truly enjoying or appreciating about the holidays this year? I’d love to know!